Friday, January 6, 2012

The Right Foods to Increase Your Metabolism


It has been proven that eating certain foods will increase your metabolism.  One such foods are peppers, I mean hot peppers/chillies.  The body’s metabolism has been measured after the consumption of hot peppers/chillies and there has been some increase in metabolism.  Hot peppers/chilies contain capsaicin that helps in increasing the metabolism. Capsaicin is a thermogenic food, so it causes the body to burn extra calories for 20 minutes after you eat the chilies.  This increase in metabolism will naturally burn fat. Although the amount was small, combinations of such foods will add up to create a fat burning diet.

There is other spices which can cause similar fat burning affects.  It is cardamom!  Cardamom is also a thermogenic food.

Foods rich in vitamin C; Citrus Fruits: like limes, lemons, , guava, grapefruit, papaya, oranges, sweet lime, tangerines and tomatoes are rich in Vitamin C and fibre and have fat burning properties. Vitamin C helps the body process fat faster and also stimulates the carnitine amino acid which speeds up the body's fat-burning capacity, by increasing testosterone uptake. Vitamin C dilutes the fat and makes it less effective and helps in releasing the fat from the body.

Apples are also fat burning food, pectin in apple restricts the cells to absorb the fat; and also encourages water absorption from the food which helps in releasing the fat deposits from the body.

Green tea studies show that it increases your metabolism. Green tea contains several types of catechins, including epigallocatechin gallate, that appear to increase your metabolic rate. A study published in the February 2008 "Physiology & Behavior" found that over the 12-week study period, subjects who drank green tea lost 7 lbs. more than participants who had an identical diet but didn't drink green tea.  Bioassays made several times throughout the study suggested that green tea increased metabolism and enhanced oxidation of fat.

Honey causes fatty deposits in the body to burn off.

Fish oil helps the body to burn fat more efficienly.

Nuts also help to increase the body’s ability to burn fat.


Generally, with lean meats and high protein foods the body requires 30% of the energy to value of the total protein content to break it down for absorption.  This is the highest of all the food categories.  Just to point out the fatty food category takes the least amount of energy to break down for absorption. You can see why the Paleo or caveman diet works.  This diet is high is protein.  The biological science proves it.

The Paleo diet is a high protein, with high thermogenic foods and low in fat  < link to Paleo Diet Video > .  Thus, the food you eat will increase your metabolism and you will take in less fatty foods.  This is a winning combination for any weight loss program.

I don’t want to pull any punches,…,but there are foods you should not eat.  These are beans or legumes, grains (mainly wheat), milk and milk products and any processed foods.

Now why is that when every governments’ health plans put these foods as essential in the food categories for healthy living?  Simply put anyone can be wrong.  Let us look at it in more depth in my next article. Some of you already know why these foods are not good for you, but others have no clue.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara, Please re-post your comments. Something happened and your comment was taken out by mistake. Most likely my mistake.

      Delete
  2. I started my diet several weeks ago and I stated planning out my daily calories and meal plans along with a fitness routine. I found this weight loss goal sheet that is helping me track my daily calorie intake and fitness goals to reach my target weight. And so far it is working, I have lost weight, but I am looking to add fiber to my diet ,so I can increase my weight loss because fiber fill you up curbing your appetite. I also included a workout program to increase my metabolism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started my diet several weeks ago and I stated planning out my daily calories and meal plans along with a fitness routine. I found this weight loss goal sheet that is helping me track my daily calorie intake and fitness goals to reach my target weight. And so far it is working, I have lost weight, but I am looking to add fiber to my diet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!